Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Holme For The Aged - 12/15/06

Every year I look for a new Christmas hat.  This year while looking at hats in Urban Decay I noticed a red wig on a mannequin.  I paid $2 to try it on.  The young sales girl complimented me & it was bought.  Viola!  I was ready for the Holme Christmas party.  Kathy & I were both up for it.  The conditions were right.  It was on a Friday, it was going to begin early, we were having 60˚weather & I had a PTO day left.  The parking lots were full & so were the streets.  Bar-A was packed!  The most famous of the noteworthy were there:  Marvelous Marianne, Star Ledger Mike & his buddies, Mrs. C, Teresa, Roberta, The Playwright, Donna’s Sam, Marissa & Cathy and Beautiful Barbara along with her just as beautiful sister & beautiful friend.   Lynn C was also there but I didn’t see her.  I don’t know why Holme thinks they cannot fill The Headliner.    

Holme’s songlist was sprinkled with holiday songs.  The ones I remember are Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree, Blue Christmas, Grandma Got Run Over by A Reindeer, Run Rudolph Run (or was it Run, Run Rudolph?).   Take note:  New to their regular songlist is Clapton’s “Cocaine”.

Bar-A usually drops confetti on their crowd.  This night they actually had it snow in the bar.  It was very neat, very cool touch which everyone loved.

My wig was a hit.   Guys seemed to like it best.  I reminded a few people of an early Cyndi Lauper.  Many people wore their own Santa hats & Holme handed out reindeer antler headbands & Rudolph red noses.  It was tight on the dance floor.  I noticed that some of the oldest men in the crowd were right up against the stage where women usually stand to gawk at the band.   What’s up with that?  

The outside bar was open & there were heaters to warm by.  I got to have a short conversation with Peter.   He will be playing with Joel this upcoming weekend at the Crab’s Claw.  I had wondered why Holme was not playing regularly like they did last winter.  I was told that Kip had some personal matters recently.   There was a death in his family and Mrs. C had fallen and hurt her arm.   Let’s hope 2007 is a better year for the Conners & us Holme fans.  

Happy New Year everyone!

Love, M

No comments: